Saturday 4 December 2010

La Capital, La costa y las Celebraciones especiales ( The Capital, The Coast and Special Celebrations)




To celebrate my twenty-first birthday I travelled nearly 700 miles south to the capital of Chile, Santiago. Although I had arrived in Santiago Airport when I came to Chile in August I did not have time to explore the city so this was my real experience of el capital. Having been living in the Atacama Desert for the past two and a half months I had grown accustomed to the brown, dusty and barren landscape of Antofagasta. They say that Chile, the long, thin country is a country of contrasts and with the few trips that I have made; I can already confirm this belief. Strolling along Santiago’s wide boulevards, surrounded by nature I realised how much I had missed being amongst greenery, something that Antofagasta unfortunately lacks.
I came to Santiago to celebrate my birthday with Gerrie and Ania, my two very good friends from Bath University. On my first evening we hopped on the metro and ventured to a famous bar called “La Piojera” a symbol of “el pueblo” (the people) and el “espĂ­ritu republicano” (Republican spirit).  The speciality of this rugged yet cheerful establishment is the notorious “terremoto”, a drink named “the earthquake”. This is a drink made entirely of white wine called “Vino Pipeno” embellished with a scoop of pinapple ice cream on top. All I can say is that is “¡no se llama el terremoto para nada! (It’s not called an “earthquake” for nothing!) It is extremely strong, but everyone should give it a try, it is part of the culture after all!  The next day was my birthday, we enjoyed a spot of sightseeing in the afternoon, browsing around the “Plaza de armas” (Square of armoury) the Cathedral and the various art stalls around the square. Then in the evening, we celebrated in “discoteca caramel” where we danced to night away, boogying to mix of old school pop, including my personal favourite, the Spice Girls and of course South America’s beloved “Reggaeton” (latin urban music).  
During my trip to Santiago my friends and I made an evening visit to “Cerro San Cristobal” with the objective to watch the sun set. With a 22 meter statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary at its peak, San Cristobal Hill is a beautiful tourist attraction offering splendid views of the capital.  It is also a park, filled with flowers and candles creating a very tranquil and reflective atmosphere there is also a small chapel where we saw a young couple being wed. To ascend the mountain it is most common to use the funicular which we did, and after watching a stunning sunset while drinking mote (a typical syrupy Chilean drink) we were ready to go back down the mountain. But being typically Chilean, we had lost track of time while enjoying our exquisite sunset and we soon realised that the funicular had stopped running which meant we had to walk down this 880 meter hill which took us over an hour and a half in the dark! Being in the Halloween spirit we decided to pass the time recounting spooky tales in the dark which I half loved/ hated! Nevertheless we made it to the bottom of the hill in one piece and I’m sure we will all be more careful to keep track of time!
The next day, Gerrie, Ania and I decided to make a day trip to Valparaiso, a historical sea port and stunning city just a few hours bus ride from Santiago. After reading Isabelle Allende’s novel “Daughter of Fortune” which is set in Valparaiso and recently watching a ballet and music performance in Antofagasta called “Valpariaso Waltz”, I was eager to see this artistic and bohemian city for myself.  The ballet performance was particularly intriguing as it recounted the passionate and tragic love tales between sailors and inhabitants of this old and magical city.  Valparaiso made a real impression on me, filled with colour and vibrancy; it is nicknamed the “Jewel of the Pacific”. This World Heritage Site is often described as Chile’s cultural centre, a statement which is not hard to believe. With its jumbled arrangement of pastel houses all built on top of one another the city is filled with immense charm.  Valparaiso is a city of art and creativity, I have never witnessed so much art in one place before, and nearly every wall has been covered in some sort of bright and dazzling design or has a quotation by a famous artist, for example Federico Garica Lorca.  Moreover, Valparaiso is home to “La Sebastiana,” Pablo Neruda’s home by the coast which is now a museum open to the public. Valparaiso is just one of those places which inspire creativity; just going there makes you want to become an artist!
My few days down south to Santiago and Valparaiso were very memorable for me, not only because I was able to celebrate my 21st birthday with two very close friends but also because it was my first experience of the country apart from Antofagasta which made me realise how varied Chile is, in terms of both geography and at times culture. This trip has inspired me to carry on with my travels and to make the most of what Chile has to offer.    

No comments:

Post a Comment